Monday, February 17, 2014

Just a Few Things I Did/Finished in the Past Month or So - Signature Wedding Quilt, Patient Quilt

Above and below is a project I started with patients at the hospital. I cut out square muslin for patients to decorate as they saw fit, then I stitched them together. This is from over a year ago. Recently, I quilted the layers together (stitch in the ditch) and added a binding. One will go on display in one of the units at the hospital.


I saw this adorable pattern and thought I just had to try it. I made them flat instead of a pillow and I painted on the face instead of stitching. I thought that would make the project easier for patients to do. I gave the red one to my son for Valentine's Day. It was stuffed with some money.

This quilt and I have been through some tough times. I started this in March (I think) of 2013 for a wedding in May. Making the quilt top with the pinwheel design was interesting - all those points - ahhh! I gave the quilt top to the then-bride for people to sign at her wedding. She then returned it to me and sent me a photo to add in the center at a later date. I wanted to learn how to free-motion quilt, so I took a workshop (sometime in October I think). After much practice, I did free-motion quilting in the black areas, using black thread. Of course, I did this after I stitched in the ditch the three layers together. I added the binding on the edges and wa la! She's done and her owner is pleased. It was a lot of fun and it was my first traditional quilt (using a pattern, making blocks, etc.). But I think I'm going back to my art quilt world. 
I have to say, I'm on a roll with my New Year's Resolution. I've finished three old projects thus far. Next up: a T-shirt quilt for my girl Mel.

No comments:

Post a Comment