Thursday, February 20, 2014


I'm finally going to begin work on "Metamorphasis." It's been a long time coming. I'm still going to start on the T-Shirt quilt but I figured while I have the momentum, I better get this thing rolling as well. So here are my humble beginnings:
Tried making a butterfly. Didn't like it much.

Found this stuff at my local quilting shop.

And this pretty fabric was at Walmart.

Found this illustration online. 

Traced it and added a seam allowance.

This is the end result. I used a satin stitch on the three layers (top fabric, inn-spire plus, bottom fabric). I like it but I think I won't use such a dark color thread and I think I will try it with a straight stitch instead. The thread is taking away from the pretty fabric. I thought it would look kind of like stained glass but it's not what I'm looking for. 

Based on a tutorial I saw on making a doll's fingers, I attempted to make the arm and hand for my life-sized doll.  It came out too skinny but I love the idea of using the pipe cleaners to make the fingers bendable without having to use stitching. Now I'm ready to go all the way and make the entire body.

These are definitely in the early stages and I have a long ways to go but I cannot wait to see the end result. I'm excited!

Monday, February 17, 2014

Just a Few Things I Did/Finished in the Past Month or So - Signature Wedding Quilt, Patient Quilt

Above and below is a project I started with patients at the hospital. I cut out square muslin for patients to decorate as they saw fit, then I stitched them together. This is from over a year ago. Recently, I quilted the layers together (stitch in the ditch) and added a binding. One will go on display in one of the units at the hospital.

I saw this adorable pattern and thought I just had to try it. I made them flat instead of a pillow and I painted on the face instead of stitching. I thought that would make the project easier for patients to do. I gave the red one to my son for Valentine's Day. It was stuffed with some money.

This quilt and I have been through some tough times. I started this in March (I think) of 2013 for a wedding in May. Making the quilt top with the pinwheel design was interesting - all those points - ahhh! I gave the quilt top to the then-bride for people to sign at her wedding. She then returned it to me and sent me a photo to add in the center at a later date. I wanted to learn how to free-motion quilt, so I took a workshop (sometime in October I think). After much practice, I did free-motion quilting in the black areas, using black thread. Of course, I did this after I stitched in the ditch the three layers together. I added the binding on the edges and wa la! She's done and her owner is pleased. It was a lot of fun and it was my first traditional quilt (using a pattern, making blocks, etc.). But I think I'm going back to my art quilt world. 
I have to say, I'm on a roll with my New Year's Resolution. I've finished three old projects thus far. Next up: a T-shirt quilt for my girl Mel.